Above left: The brakewheel Above right: Five roller mills
Help Out Mill, Odstone
28th June 2009
Help Out Mill is situated off Slipend Lane, Odstone. It has been out of use since the late 1960s. When Elijah T Timms died in 1970, it ended a family association with the mill dating back to 1734.
The mill is situated on the River Sence and is believed to have been the last water-powered corn mill to have operated commerically in Leicestershire selling flour under the Sence trade mark. The name is thought to come from the fact that its excellent water supply enabled it to help out other mills in the area during times of drought. In 1902, the waterwheel and shaft were removed and replaced with a water turbine mounted in the wheel pit.
During 1983, LIHS member Mike Tidd carried out an extensive survey of the mill and this was published in the LIHS Bulletin of that year (Bulletin No 6).
The mill is not normally open to the public except by special arrangement and we are grateful to owner, Mr Anthony Bennett for allowing this visit and giving us an excellent guided tour.
After the tour of the mill we enjoyed a splendid lunch in the adjascent Help Out Mill Restaurant, housed in the former granary building.
For further information contact the Secretary, David Lyne, 10 Somerville Road, Leicester, LE3 2ET. Tel 0116 291 9706 or email email@example.com